I do have two way awesome stories to share. First, last week I felt, honestly, really crappy. I was annoyed with people, I was tired, and I felt a little homesick. But there was a day when my companion noticed and he asked what was up, and I explained. He said, "Just go read your scriptures. That's what helps me." So I decided to read the Liahona, and I came across a story that was written by the lady who wrote Thomas S. Monson's biography (Heidi Swinton). She was sharing different experiences the prophet had had. While I was reading it, I felt the spirit so strong, and I had tears in my eyes because everything in there was what I needed to hear! Just one of the many things I learned from that talk was a quote by the President that goes "whom the Lord calls, the Lord qualifies" and that hit me so hard! I am called to be a missionary, and even when I feel insecure or like I shouldn't be here, He knows what I can do, and he will give me the strength I need to do it. I just need to go to work!
The next story happened yesterday! I was at church listening to the weekly announcements, and then it was time for the confirmation of the sister's baptisms. They asked the first woman who she wanted to say the prayer, and she chose me! I have never even studied how to do that, let alone in Portuguese! But this week we had a stake presidency member there and he spoke English. He called me up, and as I went up to the front, he said to the others in the circle, "It will be okay, he has the Spirit." I regret to say that I thought it wouldn't be enough, but boy was I proven wrong! He helped me get through the part that you have to say, and then he said "bless her". Until this point I had totally forgotten about that part!!! So I paused, and thought, and then all of a sudden I knew what to say! It was amazing. It was as if the moment my mind was about to run out of words to say, someone just popped a sentence in! I know the Spirit was with me, and that the Lord gave a blessing through me. It was my hands and my mouth, but it was all His words and love! I know the Lord loves us, and will help all of his children in ways that we really won't understand or comprehend! He is always there for us!
Now again, Mother. Don't freak out, call the mission president, send an email, or complain to the First Presidency (I guess that's a problem), but I am having my toenail removed this week. (Mom's note: I get the feeling he believes I harass everyone like I harassed him about homework in high school... :) I have had an ingrown toe nail the entire time I have been in the field, and it has gotten pretty bad. I did everything to help it heal, but it's not working. They have found a really clean and good clinic to do it at, and the President's wife is really looking out for me! So no worries! (Another note: He didn't know that his brother Makay also had to have a toe nail removed last week!)
I am currently in Praia, but I hope to go back to Sal! I am a lot more comfortable in Portuguese, and have been able to talk more often. Creole is a nightmare, nuff said. My companion is your typical skater, but he is way cool! Got to jet, though. Love the pictures every week! I love you all!
I am currently in Praia, but I hope to go back to Sal! I am a lot more comfortable in Portuguese, and have been able to talk more often. Creole is a nightmare, nuff said. My companion is your typical skater, but he is way cool! Got to jet, though. Love the pictures every week! I love you all!
Love,
Elder Naylor
No comments:
Post a Comment